Okay, as stated in previous blog I am a control freak!!! Or a helicopter mom or something else. I like to make sure that everyone does their homework. And I like to make sure that they are being taught at school. But I think that my controlling nature is a bit out of wack or maybe I don't know how to really help my children. Robert has not been finishing his work at school, and therefore not getting the rewards that other kids are getting at school, like recess, yes recess is a reward. So I was a little worried about how things are going in his class room. I have been there a few times and yesterday worried me. I know I need to work within the confines of the school. But my instinct is to protect and rescue my child from his own inability to perform as the teacher thinks he should. (Does that make sense)?
See I am a helicopter mom. Do you think the teacher feels that I am looking over her shoulder? Are other moms worried about the same things as me? This is my thinking, my children are mine for eternity, and that teacher gets nine months of their life. Shouldn't they consider my view of my child?
I think I put the teacher on the defensive today when she approached me that Robert had finished his centers today. Well, I told her I was worried that he would not have finished the centers if I had not come to class to coral him to each center. In my view, he has not been a self starter. I think that she needs to have a time limit set for him to go from center to center. I think he would roam around and talk to people more than work. This is based on two weeks of observation in the class during centers. This is where I think I am becoming a helicopter mom. I think I need help. Or home school. I think all this boils down to trust issues. Why cannot I trust other people with my children??
2 comments:
sammie, take it the Lord. My experience is that mom knows best. I f you did not have a background in education, i might consider you a bit nervous, but take it from a mom who has almost finished th public school system. Robert needs a teacher who gets him and his neeeds. If you have to homeschool for ayear because there is not a teacher there to fit his needs than do it. Teachers made all the difference. find one he connects with or take him out. If not you will be palying catch up and dealing with labels for the rest of his school years. I use Marcus as the example. you know best. pray about it and let the Lord guide you.
Love ya
Well, here's my two cents since you are posting this on a blog (it will probably turn out to be more like five cents, though). Ultimately the parents are responsible for their children's education, until they are competent and mature enough to manage that responsibility on their own and can suffer/enjoy the appropriate consequences and grow from them. Blaming an eighteen-year-old's primary grade teachers for her inability to read didn't and doesn't solve the child's illiteracy. If you have to go to Robert's class every single day to oversee his progress, then by all means, do so. Perhaps he would do better in homeschool. Not every child does well in the cookie-cutter, one-size-fits-all flawed public school system. One teacher can only do so much when she's also obligated to help nineteen other little people in the classroom. Elise was released from speech because she's doing very well where she's supposed to be developmentally. I still have some concerns, but by law, they can't keep her in speech for those until later, so I picked up some materials from the speech therapist at her school and some help and advise from the district speech person and am working with Elise at home so she will be ahead of the curve. Tough choices, but definitely an arena you should be controlling and not feeling guilty about:)--good luck, Samantha!
Post a Comment